Wednesday, July 14, 2021

A Hand of Father- Chapter 6

This will be the last sample chapter posted for A Hand of Father. I'm writing the post in June because DH and I are expecting our first grandchild Adorable Spawn. By the time you read this, he may be a week or two old. However, Mother knows babies come into this world when they're damn good and ready.

By the time DH and I get home, I'm hoping I've started on Famine in French Vanilla. Those may be the next chapters posted.

I was also planning to squeeze in a new Thalia story this year. If I manage to get it done, I will post it under the Free Story tab. I hope all of you are having a terrific summer!

---------------------

Late the next afternoon after we woke, I performed some easy stretching exercises with the other priestesses. Whatever calluses I had from ten years on circuit seemed to have disappeared. Migina teased that with the current edict, I had an excuse for being in the saddle every night like the Love sisters. To which Zihna shot back I had more offers to ride than Migina did.

It was odd. I never had this type of easy camaraderie with my classmates at the home Temple of Balance. Like I told Claudia the night before, I never had anyone who wanted to be friends. My eyes scared nearly everyone I met. As for the other novices at Balance, they couldn’t see my eyes, but they avoided me since I was considered a troublemaker.

It didn’t take long to break down our camp. Nassa and the other horses seemed to know they wouldn’t get much to drink for the next two days. They took long draughts from the water hole.

As the sun dipped below the western horizon, we set out on the National Road once again. By full dark, someone was snoring behind me. I turned to look. Warden Long Feather and Peacekeeper Jaime had the last watch of the day. It was definitely one of them from the way their heads drooped. Or maybe they were snoring in unison from the volume of sound. I wasn’t sure how they managed to sleep in the saddle. It was a talent I’d never acquired in all my years on circuit.

“What is it with men and snoring?” Migina complained.

“That’s one of the wonderful things about Love.” Claudia chuckled. “Once we’ve completed worship, they leave.”

“Don’t you miss holding someone afterward?” Migina asked.

“There’s a difference between cuddling and sex,” Zihna called over her shoulder.

I could feel Sister Farrah listening to the conversation through me.

Riding alongside Zihna, Sister Nina of Vintner laughed. It was the first time I noticed our delegation had split up between female and male clergy as we rode tonight.

“Do you think a person’s need for cuddling comes from not having enough in their everyday lives?” I asked.

“That sounds more like a question for Child,” Nina said.

Claudia pursed her lips. “I take it the priestesses in your home Temple aren’t big on hugs for the child novices.”

I burst out laughing. “Any touching for us are from wardens guiding us from place to place or the assistants helping us with our daily grooming. If the ordained justices touch us, it’s usually punishment.”

Sympathy and outrage flowed from the other priestesses, including Farrah who was scouting ahead of us.

That’s awful, the Wildling priestess said.

“Touch is how we at Balance understand the world.” I shrugged. “It can be a blessing and a curse.”

“Well, if I were assigned to Balance,” Migina said. “I sure as Conflict would be taking advantage of the edict and experiencing as much good touching as I could possibly get.”

I looked at her. “How did you not get assigned to Love?”

“She’s only interested in her own pleasure,” Zihna teased.

“I didn’t hear you complaining during the Vintner’s Festival,” Migina returned.

“That’s because my mouth was full,” Zihna retorted.

Even I had to laugh at the younger priestesses’ antics.

Migina decided to ignore Zihna. “In all seriousness, Chief Justice, all the men at Conflict would be interested in entertaining you.”

Claudia made a low sound in her throat.

“What?” Migina waved her free hand nonchalantly. “She needs some recommendations.” The sister leaned closer to me. “I would suggest Brother Yas when return to Orrin. His name may mean ‘snow’ in Diné, but in bed, he’s anything but.”

My hands turned red, and I was sure my face was the same color. Only the other women’s lack of night vision prevented them from seeing my mortification.

“Migina,” Claudia growled.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” The Conflict priestess actually sounded contrite. “I didn’t know the two of you—”

“Stop!” Realizing she had shouted, Claudia lowered her voice. “For the love of the Twelve, please stop. We have another twelve days through the desert, and if I have to hear you extoll and rank the bed play of every adult in Orrin, I swear I will leave your body for the coyotes.”

“I, uh, well…” Migina lost her talkativeness.

“Sister Migina, I know you are trying to help,” I murmured. “And I appreciate your honesty and enthusiasm, but we all need to maintain some decorum while we are guests in Diné.”

She cleared her throat. “I apologize for overstepping, Chief Justice.”

“And don’t attack any Diné for intercourse,” I added. “Go to their Temple of Love to relieve any…itches.”

“Unless you are actually itching down there, then please go see a healer,” Zihna said.

The priestesses and wardens around us roared with laughter.

Maybe I had found my true sisters in Orrin after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment