Wednesday, April 13, 2022

A Measure of Knowledge - Chapter 3

Here's the unedited version of Chapter 3, A Meassure of Knowledge.

----------------

Talbert magically amplified his voice. “All junior clergy are to return to your Temples immediately.”

There was a great deal of grumbling among our subordinates, but I understood their resentment of being left out during major discussions. Elizabeth, the former chief justice of Tandor and the soon-to-be chief justice of the newly formed Duchy of Anacapa, whispered to Yanaba and Erato.

I stood and added, “Your seats will inform you of our additional findings. But considering this is a foreign ally, please allow us the discretion of diplomacy before you all get your hackles up over being excluded.”

Most of the clergy weren’t sure whether to be insulted until my justices and half of the Wildlings laughed. That seemed to ease everyone else’s minds.

Quan approached me. “Findings?”

I lowered my voice. “Let the sanctuary clear first. Then, we’ll explain everything.”

##

It took nearly a quarter of a candlemark for the visiting clergy and their wardens to gather and don winter cloaks. At the same time, Thief’s staff cleared tables and brought in steaming pots of black Jing and Meca bean teas.

Yin Li stayed as well on the pretense of the ambassador’s trusted advisor. She wasn’t simply an Imperial concubine. Known to only a few in the room, Yin Li was a priestess of Love, Quan’s personal bodyguard, and Shi Hua’s aunt. As fierce of a fighter as the young Love priestess was, I knew I never wanted to face Yin Li in battle, but I’d definitely want her on my side.

The chief wardens who had not attended this evening’s entertainment were alerted. Since Elizabeth remained at our impromptu convocation as a courtesy to a visiting seat, my own chief warden Little Bear brought his second Gina. She had accepted Elizabeth’s offer to become her chief warden when she moved to the islands this spring, so it only made sense for Gina to assume some of those responsibilities.

There had been a time when all wardens had been excluded from a convocation of the Temple seats. However, with the spate of demon attacks over the course of the last year and a half, it seemed unwise not to include those who were responsible for Temple security. Knowledge was essential to preparedness as Little Bear constantly pointed out to me.

Once Cedar Grove and Shi Hua returned to the Thief’s sanctuary and the household staff departed, Talbot warded the huge room. I sat with the statue of Thief to my back and pulled my hood as forward as I could to keep from squinting at heat from the fires.

Han took the seat to my left and muttered, “You should have been in Conflict, Anthea.”

“Why is that?” I asked softly.

“You’re the only one besides me, Jax, and Talbert who keeps their back covered and sits where they can keep an eye on the doors and windows.”

I chuckled. “I’m afraid that’s sheer experience, my friend.”

It could have been worse. Elizabeth sat between Leocadia and Mya because she still had problems being around men after the tortures the skinwalkers who had taken over Tandor had put her through for a year. I couldn’t imagine being so damaged I couldn’t sit between Han and Quan as I did now.

Shi Hua and I related each of our impressions during the brief contact with Justice Mei Wen. Cedar Grove had blocked the emotional response from Mei Wen, and Shi Hua was able to recall a little more than I had. Flashbangs detonated in the streets. The amplified voices of officers of the imperial armies giving orders. The whoosh of thousands of arrows launched at the same moment.

Quan took the news without comment. He wore a solemn mien as he played with the gold beads that decorated the ends of his long moustache. Finally, he exhaled and said, “I believe Brother Jian of Light is our backup if we cannot contact Reverend Father Biming at Third Evening local time.”

“And Brother Fa after him.” Shi Hua sounded so damn tired. I could understand why. Exhaustion tugged at my eyelids, and I didn’t have nearly the contact with Justice Mei Wen that Shi Hua did.

“Are they both in Chengwu?” Luc asked. Shi Hua shook her head. “No.” She glanced at the ambassador, but he showed no reaction, so her attention returned to Luc. “When I was assigned to the ambassador, Reverend Father Biming made sure my additional contacts were in three different Temples and assigned to three different cities. Justice Mei Wen was appointed as the emperor’s legal advisor five years ago, which is why she is also in Chengzou.

“It’s the middle of winter.” High Brother Ben of Vintner rubbed his chin. “With this year’s storms, we may not get conventional word until next spring.”

Han snorted. “It was a year before we learned of the takeover of our own sister city of Tandor. What makes you think we’ll learn what happened in Chengzou before a demon army sails into our harbor?”

Leave it to the high brother of Conflict to give voice to my own fears.

I cleared my throat. “If all else fails, Sister Shi Hua, would you be able to contact your mother?”

She looked at me uncertainly. “I could, but she’s a farmer.”

“Certainly there’s a Temple in your home village?” Leave it to Luc to ascertain where I was going with my questions.

“Of course, but—”

“This may be the advantage of me learning the Jing language,” I said. “If the ambassador, High Brother Luc, and I join the link with you, your mother, and the priest or priestess she trusts in your village—”

“We could tax her abilities,” Quan protested.

“She’s stronger than you give her credit for,” I retorted.

“She just gave birth.” Quan glared at me.

“Four weeks ago,” Shi Hua snapped as she abruptly stood. “I’m fully healed.”

Cedar Grove rose, too, laid a hand on Shi Hua’s shoulder, and whispered in the Jing priestess’s ear. Slowly, both women sat again, though Shi Hua gave the ambassador a rather murderous look.

“Anthea and I can boost Shi Hua’s resources,” Luc said. “And you’re the highest ranking Jing official we have to prove our identities.”

Yin Li cleared her throat. “With all due respect to you, Ambassador, and you, High Brother, it might be better if I participate instead. I personally know the Love sisters in Yintze.”

“All of this is moot if we can contact Reverend Father Biming tonight.” Talbert sat with his elbows on his knees and his hands clasped together. The pose showed just how worried he was.

But then, so was I.

“Let’s take this one step at a time,” I said. “We’ll try to contact Biming tonight. If we can’t, then we send messages concerning the situation to Queen Teodora, the Matriarch of the Diné, and the King of Cant at first morning. They can alert their own distance speakers and triangulate until we get an answer from Chengzhou.”

Surprisingly, the other Temple seats agreed to my idea. They also agreed to retreat to their own Temples with my promise to give them an answer about whether tonight’s efforts were successful or not. In turn, I asked them to pray to their own deities for our success.

When they left, Quan looked at me and shook his head. “I never thought I’d see you ask your colleagues to pray for their deities to intercede on your behalf.”

I chuckled as I donned my winter cloak. “I hope the other Eleven take pit on me. I know damn well Balance won’t answer my prayers.”

No comments:

Post a Comment