Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Fae and Felonies - Chapter 2

Here's another chapter of Fae and Felonies. Please remember this is an unedited sample.

===============================

After the last class of the day, Kirsten leaned against the wall outside of the library. The off-white-painted plasterboard cooled the nervous perspiration that dampened the back of her blue Knights t-shirt. She’d never met a fae before, and the family stories about them had not been complimentary.

Especially not after the Winter Queen’s assassin had orchestrated the murders of several Normals in Holmes County in his effort to trap and kill a newborn goddess. The grandfather of Mary Levy, one of her closest friends, had been a victim of the fae assassin’s plot.

Donny Fryer strolled up to her, his red backpack slung over his shoulder. An old Carhartt hooded tan jacket covered his navy t-shirt and well-worn jeans. He was a couple inches shorter than her five-eight, but he carried himself like a much bigger guy. Any Normal bullies who tried to harass him in elementary school had learned the hard way not to mess with him. Even the other werecoyotes in the county had started giving him a wide berth over the last year. Donny wasn’t someone who backed down from a fight.

“Kaley said you needed my help.” He smirked.

The last Kirsten wanted was to admit such a thing, especially to Donny. But facing the fae boy alone didn’t seem like such a great idea.

“Did she tell you why?”

He shrugged. “Something about protection from the new kid who started here today.”

“She didn’t tell you?” Kirsten wanted to track down her sister and kick her ass. This wasn’t something she could spring on Donny. Not after what happened to his dad before Donny was born.

A muttered “Ah, shit” behind Kirsten and Donny drew their attention. They pivoted at the same time to find a tall guy standing behind them. He was easily six-four. White-blond hair. Deeply tanned which stood out like a sore thumb. Like Donny, the stranger was dressed in jeans, t-shirt, and an insulated denim jacket that had seen better days.

But it was the dangerous prickle of fae magick that set Kirsten’s teeth on edge.

Donny growled deep in his chest. In her peripheral vision, fur sprouted on his cheeks.

“Look, I don’t want any trouble,” the fae said.

“Your queen’s the reason my father’s dead.” Donny’s words were barely intelligible thanks to his snout elongating as he spoke.

Kirsten stepped between Donny and the fae. “Hackles down. This is the guy I’m supposed to be tutoring.”

“Reed’s an idiot to allow a fae in the school,” Donny rasped.

“And Kaley’s an idiot for not telling you he’s here either.” Kirsten placed her palm against his chest. His pulse pounded against her hand. “All I’m asking is that you stand down as long as he’s not slinging spells.”

“First, he tells us how he crossed the county line.” Donny’s golden irises and canine pupils glared at the fae. “Actually, that’s a good question.” Kirsten turned back to face the fae. “No Unseelie or agent or representative of theirs is allowed in Holmes County. Not after the amendments to the International Council’s Accords.”

“The amendment doesn’t apply to those of fae blood neither Court claims,” the new boy said coolly. “My father was fae, my mother Normal. Are you telling me you don’t know how the Winter Queen regards half-bloods?”

That explained how he got into Holmes County. It didn’t mean he wasn’t trouble.

Kirsten regarded him. “I do. I also know half-fae will do just about anything to be accepted by their Court.”

“Not all of us,” he shot back. “But then I wouldn’t expect a mere witch to understand. The real question for me is whether the principal sicced you on me on purpose.”

She laughed. “That’s giving Reed too much credit. I’m one of the top students, and I’m aiming to graduate valedictorian.” “Really?” An ugly smile filled his face. “And how many hexes did that take?”

Donny shoved his way between Kirsten and the half-fae. “You’re just like every other fae. A conceited, full-of-yourself jerk.” The were was angry, but he’d regained control of his human form.

The half-fae rolled his eyes. “I don’t know you. I don’t know your dad. And I sure as hell don’t know the asshat who killed him. Like I said, I don’t need the trouble.” His sneaker squeaked when he pivoted, and he marched down the hallway.

Kirsten looked at Donny.

He met her gaze. “Is Reed crazy, or just that ignorant about supernaturals?”

“Yes.” She pressed her lips together and looked back down the hall, but the half-fae had turned the corner. “This is going to come back and bite me in the ass. I just know it.” She slumped against the wall.

Kaley rushed up to them. “Sorry I’m late.” She looked around. “Hasn’t River shown up yet?”

“River?” Donny smirked. “What kind of name is River?”

“There’s River Phoenix.” Kaley frowned. “What did I miss?”

A sour expression replaced Donny’s smirk. “Other than you didn’t tell me I was supposed guard your sister from an Unseelie?”

“I thought you knew,” Kaley protested. “You were the one complaining about the honey scent in the air.”

“I guess it was too much to ask that Life Sciences might be making baklava,” he muttered.

“It doesn’t matter,” Kirsten murmured. “We need to find out who this River’s father is, and why he’s in Millersburg.” It was time to put the offer Sheriff Birkheimer and Police Chief Hall made last month to the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment